Motherhood.....My Way

I've often had to dodge the question "so, how is motherhood?" I thought maybe I should take the time to work out the answer to that question. And you're the lucky audience who gets to hear me expound on the answer as I figure it out.

Friday, May 14, 2010

First Step Towards Freedom

I did it. I finally made that decision. I can hear Tom saying that I'm being vague. Well sometimes, vagueness has it's place. It fills up the empty silence and space when you haven't quite worked out the details. I have officially started on the road to becoming a financial consultant. There I said it! Ok, so I actually wrote it instead.

I've been wrestling with this decision for sometime now. I didn't do it to help Tom out. I did it for me. (See, this is why it's important to understand your role as a parent who lives for their child or a person who makes decisions and takes into consideration the impact it will have on the life of their child.) Maybe I think too much. But I digress and thinking does kill time and can be ever so entertaining. There are a lot of things that's involved in this business, socializing, professionalism, confidence, ability to make decisions but more importantly help other's make decisions, educating people, public speaking, teamwork, all the things that one needs to climb that ladder of success in the world of corporate America. I knew that when I really signed up, I would have no choice but to stand on ground that is unfamiliar, uncomfortable.

I got some news earlier this week which shook me up a little. I didn't make it a list I need to make. Suddenly my comfortable life (ok, it wasn't that comfortable to begin with) seemed even more shaky. I'm headed towards the proverbial rock and hard place, I'm just not quite there. So I made the decision that today is the day that I join Primerica. Yes, that's what I said. My son made me realize that life is really made up of moments. I spent last summer at home with him so I didn't miss those little fleeting moments that slip away only to fast. I can still remember the moments captured in every picture.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not quitting my day job or anything like that. I actually like my job. I do research all day and write for a living. What's not to like when you combine my two favorite past-times? Besides, I need the health benefit. But I just opened the door and set myself free. Today I start living for me. My sweat, blood, and tears will the mortar with which I will build the foundation of my future dreams. Freedom has cost me dearly, but I made it here. The hardest part was making that decision but once I made it, I felt free. Suddenly the possibilities seemed infinite. The word of God says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." I say, try and stop me.

This decision for me was a personal one. I never thought that someone like me would be able to do something like this. I'm not particularly rich so I always thought the information about financial planning wasn't available to someone like me. After all, I have debts, barely any savings, who would want to work with me? Through my struggle, God has shown me great mercy. The knowledge that I have gained through practical application, professional experience (yeah, did I mention I work in financial service industry, mainly dealing with government sponsored pensions?), and simple life experience gives me the right to stand up and say, you don't have to stay awake at night worrying about money. You may not have much, but let me show you how to be a better steward of what you have, let me help you pull yourself out of that black hole of despair you can't seem to crawl out of, let me give you hope, because I have been there.

So I guess this is the moment where I begin.....I think I am a woman with a very extraordinary son.....in all my 32 years, he has been my biggest and best inspiration and I've only known him less than a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment