Motherhood.....My Way

I've often had to dodge the question "so, how is motherhood?" I thought maybe I should take the time to work out the answer to that question. And you're the lucky audience who gets to hear me expound on the answer as I figure it out.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The halfway point.

I can't even call it one of those days. It's been over three months since my last post, so for those of you that actually read this, my apologies. I've finally reached that six month point and I'm happy to report that my son seems to have disproved the "boys are lazier than girls" rule. He seems to be impatient to do things, like move on his own. I'm not sure if that's something that I should be worried about yet.

I was so pleased when my husband called me earlier today to tell me that he discovered our son on his stomach, pushing his upper body upright with his little arms. When my husband saw him, our son seem to promptly turn himself onto his back. He does it effortlessly now. Go son! He also tries to pull himself up but he hasn't quite worked out how to sit up on his own. But that's okay. As my co-worker said, when they do the smallest things (like sit up on their own without support when you sit them up) you think they are the next Einstein.

He's doing a lot of things these days, which makes him a lot more interesting than he was a few months ago. I'm not too sure how I'm doing. My weekends seems to be time to catch up on desperately needed sleep. Failing in that, the work week just turns into a living nightmare. This morning I slept right through my alarm clock, didn't have time to properly feed my son (since he decided he'd rather play than eat) or fix my hair. I'm not even sure how I got to work but I'm getting very good at doing my hair on the go.

I have a lot of respect for women who do this. I am a working mum but I also have the luxury of a spouse who is a full time dad. This makes my experience rather unusual. I now know how working fathers feel and why it's so easy for them to let the mothers take the lead in raising their children. I also understand how tough it is for working mothers to leave behind their little ones and dive into the work day, trying to concentrate on your work when your mind replays the last smile, last laugh or giggle or silly thing you saw. It's not easy sitting on this fence and I'm still learning as I go.

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that waiting for my 30s to have a child was the right choice for me. I don't think I would have seen the world as I do or cope with my situation as I have if I were on the other side of 30. On the way home today, I saw a young teenage boy get arrested for a very stupid decision that took an instant to make. I never wondered before what his mother would feel when she learned of his day. Suddenly I felt anger on this mysterious woman's behalf as well as frustration at the situation she will undoubtedly face.

On that note, I'm going to get something to eat while I still can. (also, I just started watching Better of Ted and can't really concentrate enough to continue to write.)

No comments:

Post a Comment